Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Chicken Enchiladas

The chicken enchiladas I made last week were delicious! However, my husband is not a fan of sour cream. I personally love sour cream, and knew that he would enjoy the dish as long as he didn't know beforehand that it had any in it. ;) I had planned to make them for dinner when he was on day shift, so that he wouldn't be home when I was cooking. Well, to my surprise he came home extra early. It became a bit tricky, especially since he walked into the kitchen to chat right after I pulled the tub of sour cream out of the fridge! Luckily, I am super sneaky and managed to pull it off. After dinner, I did admit what the sauce was made from (and even disclosed how he almost caught me!) and while he quickly said "I still don't like sour cream," he did say that they were good. So, this recipe is a keeper.

Ingredients:
10 tortillas (corn or flour) 
3 chicken breasts, shredded
2 cups chicken broth (I just use the broth made from the water I boil the chicken in)
1 cup sour cream
3 TBS all-purpose flour
3 TBS butter
2 cups shredded cheese (Tex-Mex blend or Monterrey Jack)
4 oz can diced green chillies (I actually used rotel, instead)

-Preheat oven to 350 degrees
-Mix 1 cup cheese with shredded chicken
-Fill tortillas with chicken/cheese mixture and place in greased casserole dish (9x13)
-Melt butter in a saucepan, stir flour into butter and whisk for about a minute, add broth. Cook until mixture gets thicker and starts to bubble up.
-Take off heat and  mix in sour cream and chillies (making sure the sour cream doesn't curdle)
-Pour mixture over rolled tortillas
-Top with remaining shredded cheese
-Bake in oven for 20-23 minutes, then broil for 2-3 minutes to brown cheese

These really were easy to make and tasted great-- they were even better the next day!

I hope you enjoy!
xox Amber


No comments:

Post a Comment