Friday, July 12, 2013

Crockpot Chicken & Oven Roasted Cabbage


Last night's dinner was quite tasty. Being the first time I had ever made the chicken or cabbage this way, I decided ahead of time to take pictures as I was preparing dinner-- just in case it was share worthy. And it was! So, I'll get right to it.

I didn't take pictures of how I made the chicken, but it is super easy. I simply heated up some chicken broth and water in the crockpot (I didn't measure-- but it was about half and half) and mixed in a packet of taco seasoning and a ranch packet. I then added 3 thawed chicken breasts and cooked on high for 4 hours.

As for the cabbage; I normally steam it on the stovetop. Last night, I made it in the oven. It took longer this way, but was incredibly flavorful. Here's how you make it:


Take a head of cabbage, and cut it into 4 wedges (you could cut it into smaller wedges if needed). Rinse/wash it, careful to keep the wedges together.


Next, place one wedge on an individual piece of aluminum foil. Drizzle a little oil (again, I didn't measure. I used vegetable oil, but you can use olive or any other type of oil you prefer) and add salt and pepper.


Wrap the wedge in bacon. I used smoky maple flavored bacon, but any kind will do. I used 3 pieces for each wedge.


Lastly, wrap the wedge in aluminum foil. Repeat the process for the remaining wedges, wrapping each in their own piece of foil. Place wedges on a cookie sheet and bake on 425 for 30-40 minutes (I believe I took mine out after 35).

I should have taken a final picture, but everything smelled so good, and we were so hungry, that we scarfed it down before I had a chance. In an attempt to sneak some more fruit into my husband's diet, I served the chicken and cabbage with a side of mixed fruit. ;) 

What is your favorite way to cook cabbage?

xox Amber

No comments:

Post a Comment